Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sole Hope


Today I went to Sole Hope for the morning.

 I spent the bus ride discussing the new homosexuality laws with one of the Ugandan men volunteering for the day. I often get asked what my views are on the new laws by Ugandans. It's a sensitive topic here at the moment and often gets brought up in Sunday morning sermons. 

They took two bus loads of volunteers and staff to a school about 30min away. They've only been to this school once before and did two grades. This week we did the next two grades. The set up an assembly line of people to wash feet, to carry kids from each station, to take out jiggers, to write down details and to fit shoes. I volunteered to wash feet. I loved it! Towards the end I went and watched some of the others take jiggers out. Poor kids. Some of them are in so much pain and they mostly sit there without a sound. It was hard work on a hot day and I'm a little bit sunburnt as a result. This evening, when I went to the nursery, Mama Esther said, "Aunty, you have had too much sun!" It's not that bad, it's just because my skin is more sensitive from being on the malaria medication. 
Unfortunately I didn't get any photos from Sole Hope, as my hands were in soapy water most of the time.



I was on activities for the afternoon which pretty much just consisted of swinging kids on the swings and singing songs together. I was so flattered by some of my boys. Joseph asked when I was coming back to their cottage and I promised I'd visit. 


Michael asked if he could go on one on one with me and when I said I was working with the babies now he just frowned and laid his head in my lap:(.



Richard asked if I was going to read a bedtime story tonight and if I could please come back to his cottage. I said I missed him and promised I would come visit them. 


Nicole, soaking up as much Hope as she can before she leaves on Monday. 


Singing with Londa and Mama Josephine. 


Smile Godfrey! "Cheese!"



Nicole made tea tonight and I fried some capsicum, garlic and onion to go with it. It's one of my favourite dishes that we often do together. Freshly made chapatis top it off nicely!


Nicole had asked a little while ago if we could put a photo up of ourselves and a child on the wall in the guesthouse. I couldn't choose a favourite child but I don't have many photos of myself so I just chose one with me and a child. We spent some time after our meal making our photos all pretty. Thanks Elena for letting us use all your paper!



Nicole shared this with me and I liked it enough to share it with you all:).

I'm looking forward to being back in the nursery tomorrow:). 


"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them."
John 13:14-17



No comments:

Post a Comment