Saturday, March 8, 2014

Children of God

I slept in till 8 this morning! Felt really good:). 
Nicole was up next and we decided to meet Kaity in town for coffee and visit the local market. 
I had a real coffee...yum! Then we hopped on bodas to get to the edge of town for the market. 


Kirsty has asked for a picture of me on a boda, so Nicole kindly took one with her phone for me. This is the main street of Jinja. 

The market was great! I didn't take any photos because I didn't feel comfortable getting my camera out. There was lots of corn, lentils, fish, clothing, shoes etc. in little wooden stalls with barely enough room to squeeze between. Lots of "My friend! Come look!" from stall owners. I didn't buy anything but it was great to experience a little more of the local culture. Now to figure out a way to blend in a little more!


Also taken by Nicole. 
Nicole, Katelyn and I went to Budondo again today. It was nice, the guys who normally go to Budondo, came early to Amani so we could chat about what we planned to do for the day.
 Above is the same little girl that I held last time. She had different hair this time.
Katelyn wanted to swap groups so I took the littlies this time. It was great! I listened to Charlie tell a story, helped colour pictures, clapped along to music and played catch. 


Thanks for the photos Nicole! :)


I took so many photos today!






Today is International Women's Day so all the boys sang to the girls. I have a video but it wouldn't load on here. I can't help but laugh though; every time they say "Every day is men's day, but today is women's day!" Even when we were organising things at Amani beforehand, the guys said "happy women's day!" then added, "but you're not really women, you're only girls". I asked "so what will make us women?" They replied, "when you have babies". It's like the second question I get asked here when introduced to someone new; "what is your name?" then "do you have babies?". Maybe I should start replying with "yes, I have 13 boys!". 


Nicole





Packing up.

We arrived home, filthy as usual. So much red dust! 


Joseph, giving me my much needed butterfly kisses for the day (taken by Paige). As naughty as Joseph can be, he's so cute with Jay. He calls Jay "baby chicken" and once I asked him what that made him, he replied "the mama chicken". So cute:).


Above and below photos are from Londa's camera. Thanks!


Aren't my little men handsome? :)

Joseph is so easily entertained. I do something like; cross my eyes, make the tendons stand out in my neck, wiggle my ears, roll my tongue, or talk funny and he'll giggle for ages. "Aunty, again! Again!"


The twins, Caroline and Josephine. 


Jenipher, Katelyn and Hope.
Katelyn is feeling much better too by the way. 
 I had time to shower before the kids' bedtime today so it was my first hot shower since arriving. It made me feel so much cleaner. 

We ate rolexs for dinner tonight and then Nicole and I had a game of phase 10; my favourite. 


Moments during the day that I think, "only in Africa Lord!"

  • Sitting on a boda with a strange man sitting practically on your lap...
  • Nearly falling off a boda and the driver on a boda behind you grabbing you so you don't....
  • Haggling the price of a boda ride and then nearly getting run over by one....
  • Going to a public toilet and thinking "yay! They have toilet paper!" :)...
  • Buying your dinner from a man who cooks on the side of the road with a little coal fire and meeting a man who invites himself over to eat with you....
  • Strange kids in the market wanting to touch your skin....
  • A group of children you barely know fighting for the privilege of holding your hand....
  • Children chanting "Aunty Cia Cia, Aunty Cia Cia" just because they love you....
I plan on adding to this list in future blogs.


"But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."
1 John 3:17-18






No comments:

Post a Comment