Sunday, March 30, 2014

Ann


So, remember how I'm in Africa? 
Just checking you've been paying attention:).
Well, plans never quite work the same here in Africa the way they do at home, and I've learnt to be flexible. I was meant to be working in the nursery this morning but Sandra asked me to look after Ann instead. Ann has had the measles and has been staying with Sandra so she doesn't come into contact with the other kids. She is pretty much over it now but is still contagious. Sandra was meant to be singing with the other girls this Sunday at church and couldn't find anyone to look after Ann. I was more than happy to babysit. After all, I've gotten used to looking after seven babies so one baby is easy! I had her upstairs with me for the morning and she just sat quietly while I did dishes and then bible study. Then as the girls got back from church I had to take her down to the clinic as some of the other girls aren't vaccinated for measles and Sandra doesn't want them exposed. We sat in the clinic together singing as many Sunday school songs as I could think of until Sandra came to collect her at lunch time. 


Ann having her morning porridge.


This was pretty much the only face I got the entire time. She was happy to simply take everything in and watch me. 

We had a pretty lazy afternoon after that. I sat on the balcony for a while writing. Elena and Katelyn went and visited one of the mamas which was a great experience for them. They even had lunch with her and got to hear her life story. After they got back, Elena and I walked down to the dairy to buy ice cream for our dessert tonight. It was a nice walk together. On our walk back we passed a little boy pulling a container along the road with two puppies inside. We waved and kept walking. After a few metres we came across another puppy by the side of the road, crying, with it's front legs tied together. We yelled back to the boy that he'd dropped it and he came running back to rescue it. 
Something interesting always happens on our walks. 

Well, I'm now over half way through my stay here. I don't know how I'm ever going to leave my babies behind!


"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures. For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light."
Psalm 36:7-9


No comments:

Post a Comment