Wow! Has it been 4 weeks already? I can't believe another week has flown by and it's Saturday again! I have a feeling it's only going to go by faster from now on.
Today our project was making sure the cottages don't get bedbugs. This involves taking out all the mattresses and sheets and spraying them down with insect spray. Then we pour soapy hot water over the bunks, flip them over, pour more soapy hot water on them, then clean all the water off the floor. Once they were dry we dragged all the mattresses back in and put sheets back on them so the kids could take their naps.
We've been told that we're allowed to take kids on outings on the weekends now. So, if we want to do some shopping in town or something we can take a child with us. We decided to do a special outing to The Source Cafe and then do some shopping, so we each took a child with us. I decided to take Alex with me. I couldn't choose between the boys so I took Alex because he's never been on outings before. He also knows me very well and I knew he'd be calm and behave. When Alex gets in trouble he does the cutest little fast blinking thing before he starts to cry. I always struggle to remain stern while trying not to laugh at him, he's so cute:).
He clung to me on what was probably his first boda ride. Wide eyed and taking everything in but not afraid. Completely trusting in that he was with his aunty so everything was fine.
I bought Alex an icecream and let him chew on some chips. He loved it and I enjoyed spoiling him a little bit. We had an issue with one of the girls we brought and ended up having to take her back to Amani because she was naughty. We continued shopping with just the four kids.
We get enough looks from people being a group of mzungu girls but add a child per person and you get even more stares.
Alex is a fairly calm quiet little boy. When he wants something he never cries he just says "Eh!" I enjoy carrying a child around with me until they get tired and relax right into you, comfortable enough to enjoy the ride:). On the way home, he again just held on tight and took in everything that flew past.
We've been told that we're allowed to take kids on outings on the weekends now. So, if we want to do some shopping in town or something we can take a child with us. We decided to do a special outing to The Source Cafe and then do some shopping, so we each took a child with us. I decided to take Alex with me. I couldn't choose between the boys so I took Alex because he's never been on outings before. He also knows me very well and I knew he'd be calm and behave. When Alex gets in trouble he does the cutest little fast blinking thing before he starts to cry. I always struggle to remain stern while trying not to laugh at him, he's so cute:).
He clung to me on what was probably his first boda ride. Wide eyed and taking everything in but not afraid. Completely trusting in that he was with his aunty so everything was fine.
I bought Alex an icecream and let him chew on some chips. He loved it and I enjoyed spoiling him a little bit. We had an issue with one of the girls we brought and ended up having to take her back to Amani because she was naughty. We continued shopping with just the four kids.
We get enough looks from people being a group of mzungu girls but add a child per person and you get even more stares.
Alex is a fairly calm quiet little boy. When he wants something he never cries he just says "Eh!" I enjoy carrying a child around with me until they get tired and relax right into you, comfortable enough to enjoy the ride:). On the way home, he again just held on tight and took in everything that flew past.
We got back and decided to take some group photos with the cottages.
The boys from cottage C.
Back row: Christopher, Paul, Eric, Alex, Judah, Frank, Joseph
Front row: Babu, Isaiah, Edmund, Sande, Michael, Richard, Jay
All the boys got their heads shaved today. Some of them look great, others are barely recognisable.
Not everyone is happy about having to sit for a photo, but it's the best we could do.
Girl's from cottage B and mamas
Hope
Josephine
Londa, Freddy and Philip
Philip got his cast off this week! He's happy but still not sure about walking yet.
Michael is very ticklish:).
We had bible study tonight on Acts chapters 3 and 4. It was great to be challenged together by the apostles boldness and God's faithfulness in our day to day obedience.
And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
Acts 4:33
So funny that there's one lone girl in the boys photo (on the playground) and one little boy in the girls photo!
ReplyDelete