Saturday, March 29, 2014

Breakfast and Babu

Breakfast at The Keep this morning!
Paige and Katelyn leave on Wednesday and Amani always pay for a "last supper" before you leave. Paige and Katelyn decided to do a breakfast together which was a nice change. It was delicious!

Katelyn and I went to get some hair extensions so she could get her hair braided today by Mama Rukia. We weren't able to find the right colour though so Katelyn ended up giving Mama Rukia boda money to go and buy it for her. 

Katelyn had a few braids like mine done at the front and on the back of her neck with a little blue as well. Paige had a few small corn rows done on the side of her head. They both look pretty cool! 

Londa and Elena went to Budondo after lunch so it was just the three of us for the afternoon. We headed into town so that Paige and Katelyn could do some final souvenir shopping before they leave. Katelyn and I got some awesome paintings amongst a few other things. 

We arrived back just as Charlie's mum was dropping him back and he helped me carry in my painting with his big strong muscles and then waited at the foot of the stairs for the three of us to come back down and play. Charlie is probably the most charming of the boys and frequently tells his aunties that they are beautiful. He gave me a colouring picture that he'd done today and explained it all for me. 


Me with Dorothy and Charlie on my lap, Freddy playing with my hair and Michael trying to get some attention too. In these situations I'll often turn around to see who's behind me and when I turn back the children in my lap are not the same ones that were there before! They move so quickly I barely notice when they climb in and out of my lap! 

Little Freddy asked me today if I could take him home with me. This just adds to the many moments during the day when my heart breaks. Freddie doesn't cope well with the constant coming and going of his aunties and often needs just a little extra attention. I told him that his mamas loved him very much and so did all his brothers and sisters and that at the moment this was his home. I said "Freddy, I love you and I'll always pray for you, okay?" He just said, "Okay, Aunty". Of course, convincing myself is not nearly as easy. As wonderful as Amani is for these kids an orphanage is never an ideal situation for a child. Children belong in families. Amani does a great job of trying to replicate a family as much as is humanly possible but it can never be the same as a "normal" family. I wish I could see in to the future and know that each of these precious children will grow into adults who have a deeper relationship with their Father because of the experiences of their childhood. 


Christopher, happily singing to himself while he waits to go inside for dinner.



Our chapati man.

Katelyn, Elena, Londa and I bought rolexes for our dinner tonight.


The sunset was amazing tonight! It was as if the clouds were aflame and glowed like molten lava. 


We had Babu upstairs with us tonight. He has recently had a hernia operation and we are concerned that the operation wasn't done properly or maybe his stitches have come out. So he needs to have an eye kept on him for a while. He managed to wriggle around enough that he scooted off the mattress onto the ground at one point. He's not used to sleeping in a bed with no sides:). 


"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.
Mark 10:14-16





1 comment:

  1. Oh Alicia, that brought me to tears. So many difficult and very rewarding things you are experiencing. We want to fix things as we think best, but God loves each of these children far more than we can understand. We can trust Him with these children and He will give you His peace when the time comes for you to say goodbye to little Freddie and all the other children you have grown to love so much. Such a tender age to be learning about putting his confidence in God, and not his aunties, but you did the right thing pointing him to prayer being greater than anything else you can give him. I will pray for little Freddie too.

    ReplyDelete