Monday, March 17, 2014

Heart Stopping Moment


I had a mother moment today.

Have you ever experienced a situation where your heart stops and you feel like it's forever before it starts again? When time stands still and a thousand things go through your mind in a split second. Fear for my baby caused me to experience all of the above and more this morning. 

We were putting the babies down for their naps at 9am. I had just put John down and I was giving Rosie a kiss when I heard two loud crashes, one after the other. I turned around and John was on the smooth tiled ground behind me when he should have been in his cot bunk which stands just above my shoulders. I've noticed he has undone one of the latches on his cot before, but the mamas always tie it with a scarf for extra security. The scarf had slipped down though and John had undone both latches causing the first crash of the cot side falling then the second crash of John landing on the hard ground and hitting his head. His immediate cry interrupted my state of shock and Nicole, who was closest, scooped him up and held him close. He didn't seem hurt and stopped crying after only a little while, but that feeling of fear wouldn't leave me as easy as that. The scenarios still running through my head at the sight of him on the ground threatened to overwhelm me and I wanted to stay and hold him close for my own assurance. There was no sign of injury so we moved him to a lower cot for his nap and instructed the mamas to watch him in case he had hurt his head. 
My heart firmly lodged itself in my throat for the entire one and a half hour break we have while they are napping. I couldn't relax till we went back down at 10:30 to feed Zion and Anna. The first thing I did was go and check that he was still breathing. He was sound asleep (and still breathing) oblivious to the concern he caused. After they had all been woken up and fed I spent some time cuddling John. He loved the extra attention and I was able to assure myself he was uninjured. Thank you God for watching over my baby. 

(I know he's not really my baby but I love them all like they're my own)


Nicole and Mercy. 

We took some of the babies on a walk early this morning before the other girls came down. Then we were a little late coming up for our break because of John's fall. It was decided that Alex will now move into the boys cottage I had been previously working in so that John can move bunks. I took him over just after lunch. Down to eight babies in the nursery now. 


John giving Zion a friendly cuddle:). Awwww. 


Isn't he a good big brother! 


Rukia at physical therapy. She loves playing with bottle caps and anything else that makes interesting noises. 

I was rostered on physical therapy today which means we start back at 2:30 instead of 4pm. We also waited for almost an hour to be picked up so we didn't get a break when we got back either. 

Nursery was a little more hectic than usual tonight. Seemed like everyone was off schedule. John was extra itchy tonight and he gets mad at me when I tell him he can't scratch. He cried so hard when I was changing him and greasing him up before bed that he again got special cuddle time before bed. I love to sing to an upset child until they become so completely engrossed with your face and the sound of your voice that they forget what upset them in the first place. Then that special just before bed feeling when they snuggle in close and begin to breath deeply and you wish you could freeze the moment. 
Goodnight my babies, sleep well. 




Not a great photo but just to give you an idea of how far John fell. This is just before the big babies bedtime. 

We have had no water since last night upstairs and only a trickle from a tap downstairs. Hopefully it will get fixed tomorrow or the kids are going to badly need showers not to mention us aunties! :)

Nicole and I decided we would treat ourselves and headed over to The Keep for our dinner along with Kaity. It was a nice little outing for us after a very long day. 


"He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler..... For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone."
Psalm 91:4, 11-12




No comments:

Post a Comment