Today I took Joseph and Paul on a walk before spending some time with them at Amani. I gave them each a balloon and we played "see how long we can keep the balloon in the air" together. We'd were almost ready to head back to the yard when the inevitable happened; Paul's balloon broke. He was being rough with it and I'd warned him about it popping, so I didn't give him a new one but simply finished our game. Joseph still had his balloon and asked if it would pop. I explained that balloons are not made to last forever and that it would eventually either pop or the air would escape. Joseph panicked and didn't want to hold it anymore for fear it might pop in his hands. I had to carry it for him and put it safely in his box. I tried to explain that it was okay if it popped, we could play with balloons another day and that's just what balloons do. Both Paul and Joseph went back to the yard a little sad. Paul because his balloon had already popped and Joseph with the knowledge that his wouldn't last either.
How to teach life lessons to two little boys with a balloon!
Eric helping Elena push the stroller on one of our morning walks.
The street in front of Amani.
Amani from the road. There's not many kids around because older preschool is on and the younger ones are napping.
Eric and I checking out the chickens during our one on one time.
Eric, Rukia and Elena
This is the street at the end of our street with all the kiosks where we buy our chapatis and mandazi.
I walked into to town during break to do a few errands. On the way into town a little school girl walked beside me and kept me company for half the trip before heading back to school. I made sure to put sunscreen on for my walk but it was such a hot day I still got a little burnt. My errands didn't take long and I enjoyed my walk.
During activities today....
It seemed like every child was being sent to the clinic with a grazed knee or split lip.
Eric and I had a long talk about the consequences of lying in which he ended up in tears, told the truth and sat with me till he'd cheered up again.
Joseph, Eric, Jenipher and I took turns holding each others noses and talking funny.
Michael got a little annoyed with me because I wouldn't carry him but encouraged him to walk instead.
Richard got bitten by an ant and proceeded to tell everyone that one of his brothers had done it (better have a talk about lying with that one too).
Bedtime in the nursery takes a little longer now that the older ones have potty time. Also Zion and Anna have just started taking solid food. Tonight I caught Jane paddling in her potty, Joanne had to be disciplined for not staying seated in her high chair and to top it off Zion vomited almost her whole bowl of baby cereal all over me. Sometimes the mamas and I can only shake our heads at the things that the babies manage to get up to.
Elena and Londa had music practice for the worship team tonight so I promised to have dinner waiting when they returned. I made what we call "Ugandan burritos". They are not Ugandan and they are not much like burritos either. I think the name came about because it's the closest we could get with the ingredients on hand. I walked down to the kiosks to buy chapatis and a cabbage. We are always given the African price for our chapatis which is nice, but the cabbage from a nearby kiosk was a bit overpriced and the lady wouldn't budge no matter how hard I tried. That's why we have a mama that does all our market groceries for us normally.
I managed to time it perfectly and had everything cooked about 5 min before Londa and Elena arrived home. I cooked far too much food. We have been making enough food each time to last us for two nights, partly because none of us are used to cooking for such a small group of people! It does work out easier to do that way though.
"....I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me...I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:12,14
No comments:
Post a Comment