Thursday, April 24, 2014

Beauty of a Heart


It was wet this morning. I usually start my day in the nursery with a nice warm hoodie on but by the time I've ended my breakfast break at 10:30 it's hot enough to put on sunscreen for my walks with the boys. 


I made it through a whole walk without Sande wetting his pants! Yay!



Me and Paul

All Amani volunteers are taken out for a meal before they leave. Londa and Elena leave Amani on Sunday night though they are staying in Uganda for a while longer working in other ministries. We decided to do our "last supper" at the same time so we could enjoy it together before everyone leaves. It worked out best for everyone to do a lunch rather than a dinner so we chose a day when they serve posho at Amani. Posho isn't horrible it's just not everyone's favourite. 
We went to an Indian restaurant with quite a group of us all piling into the van.
I ordered butter chicken and naan bread which was so amazing! There was just enough spice to make me sweat but not too much that it was unbearable. 
We were so glad that many of our friends could join us; even Anna was able to meet us there, as well as Charlie's adoptive family. 


Today was also our last scheduled outing with the kids, though we plan on doing some extra things on the weekend with the kids. On a volunteer's last outing they get to choose any child to go with them. I was so blessed that both Londa and Elena chose to bring one of my boys because they couldn't choose out of their own cottages. Londa has always had a soft spot for Michael and Elena has always adored Isaiah. I decided to bring Joseph with me. He hasn't had a turn at going to the pool yet and I just love the way he is when he's just one on one with his aunty. It worked out well that all three boys love the water and were so much fun to take to the pool. 

We had an interesting boda ride to the pool! It's probably a 15-20min ride and our drivers decided to take a shortcut on the roads mostly used for cattle. We had specifically told them not to take this route as it's quite rough but they thought it would be funny to take us that way anyway. Anyway we arrived safely. The drivers offered to come back for us when we were ready to leave. We didn't really want to go with the same men but didn't have much choice as it would be starting to get dark when we left and it would be hard to find 4 boda drivers without walking a fair distance.


The boys had a great time in the water but again their little bodies get cold so quickly that it wasn't long before we were out of the pool wrapped up in towels. 

Anna had decided to come with us which was great as she took a lot of photos for me. Thanks Anna! 


We had the pool almost to ourselves which was nice. 


The boys tired out and Londa and Elena both laid down with their boys wrapped up in towels. I was just sitting on the edge of my chair with Joseph to begin with but he wanted to lay down just like the others so we napped a little in the sun together. 


A rare moment when Joseph is still:).





We had milkshakes and chips with the boys. Joseph kept picking out the biggest and best looking chips and giving them to me to eat. 


I tried to get a picture with all three boys before we left. Didn't really get one with all of them looking at the camera smiling but got a few really funny ones! 


It's such a beautiful place! See the water in the background? That's the Nile! 


My hair is usually a mess by lunch time when I'm working. Babies pull at it and when I bend down to help my boys put their shoes on they often use my head to balance themselves:).
Putting my boys down for their nap today I went to kiss Christopher and he gently brushed back all the wispy bits falling out of my bun and said, "Aunty, I like your hair, you look smart". This kid knows how to make my day. 
I don't care what I look like to other people, the love of these children makes me feel beautiful in a way that no one else ever could. 

I have weird tan lines, a bright red sun burnt nose, mosquito bites, messy hair; I'm usually sweaty and dirty by the end of the day. Yet I'm full to the brim with love and joy, which is a beauty that cannot be painted on. 
They say a picture is worth a thousand words; I'm not so sure. A picture cannot describe the beauty of Uganda and the wonder of a thunderstorm, a picture cannot show the true loveliness of these children to me and fellowship of friends together. Words, for me, better describe the beauty of a heart. 

"For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7



2 comments:

  1. Alicia what a lovely picture you have painted for those at home :) you will miss them as they will miss you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely miss them all.

    ReplyDelete