Sunday, April 13, 2014

Palm Sunday

We had the most amazing thunderstorm last night. It felt like the thunder was in the room with me it was so close. I think one of the things I'll miss the most is a Ugandan thunderstorm. The power was out when I got up this morning. That's one thing I won't miss:). 

The songs chosen for church this morning were really good and Elena's singing was great! Londa didn't sing this morning as we are both trying to shake colds at the moment and she wasn't feeling up to it. After singing all the songs my voice gave out and I couldn't read the Scripture passages along with everyone. Trying to control a group of 4 and 5 year old boys when you have no voice is interesting, but thankfully I'm not the only aunty. Today being Palm Sunday the sermon was on John 12:12-50. Some of the things the Mike had to say today in his sermon were very good and other things made me want to go and challenge him afterwards. No time for that though, as Charlie and I had to take the boys home for lunch. Londa and Elena stayed for a music meeting and I had time to give Florence a quick hug before rounding up the boys. 

I thought maybe I'd have time to bake a cake before lunch and started getting ingredients out before realising that we'd run out of matches which meant I couldn't light the oven. I was just finishing my lunch when the girls arrived back. It had been a long meeting to remind everyone to arrive on time for practice. The music leader has a rule that anyone who arrives late for practice doesn't get to sing, which meant this week there were only 4 singers when normally there's at least 6. Elena was used an example for the others, even though she's only sung twice now but she's always been on time. 

Our plan for today had been to meet up with the family who adopted Charlie at the pool after lunch and take a group of older kids. Dark clouds threatened and thunder rumbled a warning. Even though we thought it probably wouldn't rain until later it was still getting too cool to really enjoy the pool so we canceled it. Instead we waited until the kids were up from their naps and went to town. While we waited we chatted with Mary. She was meant to be doing office work but with no power she couldn't do much and we didn't have the distractions of internet so we had a nice long conversation. I love to hear people's stories on how they found themselves in Uganda and their different perspectives on working here at Amani. 


I took Paul, the one who gives the best hugs. I haven't had some one on one time with him for a while so I was looking forward to an afternoon together. The other boys were really grumpy when I went to get Paul dressed up and some threw tantrums and others sulked even though some of them have only just recently been taken out. Some of them even like to say "you're not my friend anymore" to me. What they don't seem to realise is I'm not here to be their friend I'm here to be an aunty.


We went to Space Cafe, which I've never been to before. It was really nice there and we kept adding to our orders as our appetites grew. I had the best hot chocolate I think I've ever had. Paul had chocolate ice cream which he loved and I had to keep telling him not to use his hands to eat it:). Then we shared some samosas together. Paul then eyed off other plates of food and because he's so adorable managed to get a few extra chips from Londa and Elena:).
  

Elena and Justine


Londa and Agaba


Paul and I. We had a fun afternoon together. I had a very nice boda driver on the way home and he returned my greeting which is rare. 

During a conversation we were having together, I said "God is good" and Paul proceeded to repeat it several times. You never know what a child is listening to and taking in when you're talking to other people. Yes, God is good Paul. It's something I've been saying often here. Sometimes I say it from a heart of praise and thankfulness, other times I say it to remind myself to trust Him completely. 

We'd snacked enough at the cafe that we didn't bother cooking dinner. I still cooked up some left over mince that needed using and prayed that the power would come back on before it spoiled in the fridge. We got matches and so I baked the cake for a late supper in the dark. Just as I was getting ready to head off to bed the lights flickered and we held our breath in hope, 10 min later the power returned! Yay! We all rely on the internet to hear from home so days without power are always a little sad. Hopefully it will stay on tomorrow so I can catch up on my emails. 

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."Psalm 23








1 comment:

  1. I was waiting to see (your hair ) again you might have lost some but it looks like you still have plenty.

    ReplyDelete