Monday, April 28, 2014

The Lone Aunty


I'm now the lone aunty. 
I'm used to the mornings being quiet but it was strange not to have Elena fast asleep on the couch and Londa quietly reading when I left for the nursery today. 


After my morning in the nursery I decided to help Mary with the older preschool in order to spend time with Christopher and Frank. It was great fun and a nice change since I haven't helped out with preschool since I started in the nursery. 

Above is William. Having played with the dry oatmeal he rubbed the dust off his hands all over his face. He looked like a mzungu! :)


I helped out the boys with making repeating patterns on paper with coloured squares.

During lunch today, I was getting the babies ready for their naps while the older boys were eating. All of a sudden I hear screams and Sande comes running and crying like somethings trying to kill him. I went to see what was happening and found the boys all sitting as far away from the table as they could. The culprit? A tiny gecko about two centimeters long that had come out from under the table! The poor thing was probably more scared than the boys and I quickly took it outside before calming the boys down. The mamas were laughing as I shook my head and tried to convince the boys that a gecko could not hurt them. :)


Thought I'd better take a photo of my last meal of sweet potato and g-nut sauce. 

Physical therapy was canceled today as there was no one to go with me and the kids. So I decided to walk into town for my break to get the last few things I needed before heading home (as in lots of tea). I enjoyed wandering around by myself and looking in the little shops. I made another friend in one of the shops. I'm so glad I can honestly tell people that I don't have facebook! Anyway, making friends means you get better deals and haggling is easier. He said I was very swag, which basically means I'm cool:). Haha...time to leave the shop! :D

I managed to find one of the few boda drivers that knew exactly where to go and so I was able to enjoy the ride home without giving directions. I had just enough time to sit down for half an hour before going down to play with the kids. I spent probably an hour helping kids on the monkey bars. None of the kids can actually do it properly, they are too little, but they enjoy being held as they pretend to swing across each bar. 


Richard is brave enough that he likes to hang by himself but can't get down again. A little while later after I'd gone to play with the younger kids, Emma found him hanging from the monkey bars screaming because he'd got up by himself but couldn't get down. He was a little traumatised so I don't think he'll do it again. It was odd being the only aunty in the yard and I made sure to give a cuddle and a kiss to as many kids as I could that I knew would be missing Londa and Elena. Godfrey asked me if Londa was coming to read a story tonight. It's harder for them to understand that the girls are still going to come visit but that they aren't living at Amani anymore. 


I had a really nice bedtime with the babies and the boys. I read two chapters of a book that I'm reading through with the boys and then watched as Mama Georgina danced with Michael:). Christopher, my eldest boy, again wrapped his arms around me and said "don't go Aunty, don't go". I think he realises more than the others what it means for me to leave them. Having to reassure him gives me peace as well about leaving. As I comfort him, I comfort myself. I always tell the boys I love them before leaving, but tonight Paul said it first as I got to his bunk. He whispered it quietly in my ear just like I do with him. I almost burst into tears right there and then! 

I went upstairs a little emotional and made my dinner. I'm trying to use up what's left in the fridge as there are no volunteers coming for at least a week. I was just about to put the kettle on to make myself a cup of tea when a familiar voice called out. Anna had come to visit and say goodbye! So I made another batch of Anzac biscuits and we sat drinking tea and chatting for a few hours. She is such a lovely girl and a great encouragement to me. It was another bittersweet goodbye at the gate. God bless you, Anna, as He leads you wherever He has work for you to do!

I stayed up late to begin packing up everything. I don't want to spend all my free time packing so the more I get done at night the better. 

But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God- and righteousness and sanctification and redemption- that, as it is written, "He who glories, let Him glory in the LORD."
1 Corinthians 1:30-31


No comments:

Post a Comment