Saturday, April 5, 2014

Heart of Joy

Our Saturday project was weighing and measuring all the kids. This is done once a month and it's great to see each child's growth. John grew a whole centimeter! I was so proud of him and told him to keep on growing strong:). 

While we were busy with all the kids, Frank received the news that he now has a family! He went around showing everyone a picture of his new parents. I'm so happy for my little boy:).

After weighing and measuring all the children we helped feed lunch in the nursery. Zion finally took her whole bottle! She has barely had milk at all the last few days and I had become concerned. She seems a little better now thankfully. 

My lunch break was spent taking out more braids! Why do we do things like this to ourselves? :D

After the children's nap time we took a child each and headed off to the pool! There is a hotel within walking distance that you can pay to use their pool and they have a smaller shallow pool for kids. Londa brought Freddy, Elena brought Dorothy and I brought Richard. Richard has been to the pool before but the two younger ones hadn't and it took them a little while to get used to it. It wasn't long before Richard was shivering, though it was a warm day. So I wrapped him up and we sat cuddling together till he'd warmed up again. After that he was happy to simply sit beside the pool with his feet splashing in the water. 

Soon we decided that they'd had enough and we sat and ordered something each from the hotel. Freddy shared chocolate icecream with Londa, and Elena and I both got plates of chips to share with Dorothy and Richard. 



Dorothy and Richard waiting for their chips.


Elena and Dorothy

Dorothy has a gorgeous smile but refuses to bring it out for a camera.





Freddy and Londa waiting for icecream.


Tickling a smile out of Freddy:).

When I got my wallet out to pay for the food Richard wanted to look at all the colourful cards inside so I gave him a small card with a verse on it for him to keep. On the way home he was riding on my back and as we passed a lady walking the other way, he held it out for her to see. She read it, gave it back, blessed each of the children and thanked us for our care for them. Moments like that bring joy to my heart and encourage me in my work. She had no idea who we were and what we were doing and yet she took a moment from her day to bless someone. 

I finally took the last braid out of my hair! The result is a head covered in what looked like dreadlocks. I didn't have time to shower right then so they stayed like that for most of the evening. Elena and I walked out to get rolexes for dinner and met Anna coming in the gate for bible study, so the three of us headed down together. Our chapati man was busy making mandazi so we had to wait for nearly an hour but we barely noticed the time while chatting with one another. As he finished the mandazi, which is sort of like a heavier plain doughnut, he gave us a fresh one each while he made our rolexes. Completely unnecessary spontaneous generosity which again brings joy to my heart. After receiving our order and paying, he gave me my change and held my hand as he shook Elena's with his free hand. Another "only in Africa" moment when I'm standing in the dark by the side of the road holding hands with the man who makes our chapatis. We don't get that kind of customer service back home! :)

We had bible study tonight together. We looked at Acts 6 and 7 when Stephen comes before the Pharisees, gives an amazing sermon and is then taken out and stoned to death. We talked about how Stephen had the same Spirit that we have and the boldness and courage we have in our identity in Christ. 
We talked late and closed in prayer when we ran out of things to say:).

I had a very long shower shampooing my hair after bible study:). It's normal for me to lose a far bit of hair in the shower and when I brush it because I have a lot of it. So just imagine trying to wash three weeks of the hair I've lost out of my still growing hair. I used a lot of conditioner and managed to get all the matted hair out eventually. It will take a few showers to get it completely back to normal but my hair is almost back to what it was before. 

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7







No comments:

Post a Comment