Saturday, April 12, 2014

Full to the Brim


We had a full to the brim day today; full to the brim with activities, fun and fellowship.
First up was a morning trip to the pool with Simon, Godfrey and Jenipher. These three are little gang and can almost always be seen together. 



Simon was a little fearful of the idea of the pool, but once in was slightly concerning with his lack of fear! Godfrey was happy to get in but a little more timid and chose to stick close to Londa. Jenipher seemed to enjoy herself but also chose to stick close to Aunty.







Simon, the little Roman solider:). 


We had the Budondo kids club today just after lunch. We always have fun with the group of guys we go with but this week for some reason was the best! They are so funny and their antics keep us girls laughing for days after we see them. They are very good with the kids too. Aaron, Johnson, Job, John, and Fred are the guys we always go with on Saturdays. I laughed so hard today and was reminded how much I love having brothers :).

Just as a side note, Aaron is a social worker and always takes charge of Budondo visits. In previous posts I've called him Erin because that’s what I thought his name was. In actual fact that’s just the way the American’s pronounce it and it wasn't till I heard a Ugandan say his name that I realised his name is actually Aaron. This is not the first time this has happened to me with getting people’s names.

I've done the youngest and middle groups before but never the older group so I chose to team with Aaron and the over 10 year olds. Our text was John 3:13-21 which is the second half of Jesus’ answer to Nicodemus’ questions. I read the text and then read each verse out as Aaron expounded on it in Lusoga. Aaron is so animated in his explanations that I’m now convinced that there is something to do with chickens and dancing in this text :). After the story I heard their memory verses and helped ask questions. 


I now also have a whole group of African younger sisters! After our group was finished I was playing catch with some of the girls and then they asked me to take pictures of them. I took a few pictures then we had a nice long chat. Most of them can speak some English but one girl was very outgoing and could speak English very well so she became the unofficial spokesperson for the group. Her name is Fiona. I asked them all their ages and got some names, and they asked me lots of questions. After telling them that I worked at Amani I asked them what they wanted to do when they finished school, Fiona said “come work with you!” and they all added “me also!” They want all my family to come visit them in their villages and they want to come visit me in Australia :). After finding out that I love sugarcane, Fiona promised to bring me some next time. We laughed together as I tried to pronounce some Lusoga phrases and I was honoured to be told I’m a true black African at heart. They asked to escort me back to the van and we walked hand in hand together as sisters. It was an awesome afternoon :).     



Spot the mzungu! :)


The girl in the middle at the back is Fiona. They are all between the ages of 13 and 15. 


Elena and Elena :).



Saturday nights have become our unofficial rolex night for dinner together. Tonight was also a live music night at The Keep so we headed down there for some fun. Our favourite waitress, Claire, was busy serving all by herself with a room full of people and we sat at a table with Mary, our preschool teacher, and Mike, the main speaker for Worship Harvest. The music was fantastic and I enjoyed hearing John play and sing. John is the newly official father of Charlie, from Amani, and we often see his family around. I’m so happy that Charlie has such a wonderful family now.

“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!” 
                                            Psalm 133:1                                                                                     







No comments:

Post a Comment