We all got up early this morning! We were leaving for Kampala at 6:45 to go to the market there. Alex and another Ugandan man picked us up in a little mini bus. Katelyn was feeling unwell this morning so she decided not to go:(. It ended up being the 6 of us plus Sandra, Kaity and Adeline (another girl working with a different ministry).
It's almost 3 hours to Kampala with morning traffic. I took barely any photos today because most of it was spent in the bus! Traffic is terrible and makes you all hot and sweaty because having the windows open doesn't do much if the bus isn't moving.
We went to the market first and the girls bought heaps of stuff for souvenirs, as it's cheaper than in Jinja. I didn't buy a lot of stuff because its only my first week here! It's kind of fun haggling for a good price:). They all say "Madam, please support me, support me." After that Sandra took us to a Mexican restaurant called "The Little Donkey". The food was not too bad and very cheap!
Sandra had to do some more errands and then we bought ice creams. If you go into a large shop, grocery store or the bank here, you have to show them what is in your bag and they wave a metal detector over you before you can go in.
Alex took some photos while we waited for Sandra. The driver was going to take a photo with my camera but a guard came and told us we couldn't take photos. Oh well! So these photos are off Alex's ipad.
From left to right: me (in case you've forgotten what I look like), Colleen, Paige, Londa, Elena, Nicole and Kaity.
It felt hotter today but I think it's just because we were stuck in a bus most of the day.
We then went to Shoprite and Game. Anyone who's read my blog from Malawi knows that they have these shops in Malawi so it was something familiar for me! Again, I didn't buy much and was done way before the other girls so I sat in the shade with Alex and our other driver. We talked about the differences that they see in Australians compared to Americans and what Australia is like. Alex had heard about bush fires and asked all about them. He found it amazing that a fire could get so big and out of control. After the girls were done we headed back to Jinja. The traffic wasn't too bad on the way home so it only took 2 hours and we were back by 6pm.
As we pulled in the gate all the kids started yelling all the aunty's names. Most of them are still learning my name, but I could hear one little boy yelling "Aunty Cia Cia, Aunty Cia Cia!" Then I said to one boy that I'd missed him and he said "I missed you, Aunty." So adorable! :)
We get a bit of a sleep in tomorrow and then I'm in the nursery! I get to meet all the babies! I'll have to learn a whole new set of names and routine.
"The works of the Lord are great, studied by all who have pleasure in them. His work is honourable and glorious, and His righteousness endures forever. He has made His wonderful works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and full of compassion."
Psalm 111:2-4


All those little faces through the fence....adorable!
ReplyDeleteCan I call you aunty cia cia too? Hahahaha
ReplyDeleteYes! I like being called Aunty Cia Cia! It's cute:).
ReplyDelete