My day....
7:30-Get up, read God's Word, eat breakfast
8:45-Head down to Cottage "C" and play with the boys
10:00-Porridge time
10:30-Play time outside
12:00-Lunch time, wash, nap
1:00-Lunch and break time!
4:00-Movie with kids
5:30-Tea time, bath, bedtime
7:00-Head back up and help start tea
8:30-Eat, shower, load photos for blog, reply to emails, finish blog
10:45-Bed
So I was meant to start the day with a one on one session with one of the boys, but because I still don't know what I'm doing much, I was told to just play with them. I mainly just read books:).
Above is William the eldest and one of the "babies" Judah. William is a big help with the younger ones. He is the same boy who told me how they kill and eat lions and he's constantly asking questions. "Why? Aunty, Why? He asked me today if I wanted a son to take home with me:(.
("What are you trying to do, child, break my heart?")
Porridge time means first all the younger ones strip down to their nappies and eat their porridge on the floor. Then you take their nappies off, rinse them down, dry them off, put them on the potty, put clean nappies on them and their clothes back on. Then the older ones strip to their jocks (except William), eat at a little table, go to the toilet, then redress. Then they go outside for play. I went on a walk with some of the other girls and a few kids as part of their one on ones and play.
Caroline very excited in her new shoes!
The kid's just want to be held all the time. It's easier most of the time to not pick up a child or they just cry for more attention. I try to cuddle them without carrying them around.
Lunch time is the same as porridge time but instead of getting redressed they all go down for their naps.
And then we get to eat lunch and have a break!
Sandra came and took me into town after lunch to exchange money and do my orientation. She's very organised and has been very helpful.
I only got time to lay down for 20 min before it was time to head back down.
I was meant to do an outing with Katelyn but it rained this afternoon so the kids had to stay inside.
So we joined the activities group and watch "Horton Hears a Who" with the kids. It was a big job trying to get a bunch of toddlers to sit still long enough to watch a movie.
More play time then it was time for tea. Similar routine; strip, eat, potty, wash, pajamas, brush teeth, story, kisses goodnight.
I liked the bedtime routine. I think maybe because it was much shorter:).
I'm going to need a lot of energy to get through my time here, and would appreciate prayer for that. The other girls work so hard.
Please pray that I will have the energy and stamina to do above what is expected of me here.
"..For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things, But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32b-33
Is porridge time their first meal of the day? Is it the same as the porridge the children ate in Malawi?
ReplyDeleteI'm not exactly sure because I'm not there when they first get up but I think the porridge is considered a snack. It's a bit different to what the kids had in Malawi but I guess similar concept. It's almost a hot drink, they serve it in a mug.
ReplyDelete