What an amazing day!
It was another beautiful day and we all awoke well rested.
I showered with a bucket this morning, something I've never done before. I guess it's all part of the missionary training:). It's not that bad really, I enjoy cold water in warm weather, it just takes a long time to wash my hair properly.
We joined the others in the guesthouse for coffee before heading to the dining hall for a yummy breakfast together.
(Bill and his fellow Presbyterian minister Yoke)
We then went upstairs to the chapel and had morning devotions together. All the missionaries in training are out in the field at the moment for several weeks, so there's only a small group of staff on the grounds.
We worshiped together in song and in prayer. Bill spoke on Abraham sacrificing his son Isaac and about how God tests our trust in Him in different ways.
Following morning tea we headed out to visit a boys hostel about an hour away from OTI. The boys and girls hostels are used for missionaries kids as well as any in the community that may need it like those in poverty or being abused. The boys were all at school when we arrived as it is exam time at the moment just before holidays. The above photo is where the boys sleep together. We were all a little disappointed at missing the boys and so asked to change our schedule around a little in order to come back later.
We had lunch with the staff and with a little bit of time to spare, decided to take a quick walk.
Keaton stopped to put on sunscreen...
Father and daughter time...
We didn't go very far in the hot sun and soon came back to the hostel.
Bill decided he wanted to touch one of the many cows we see on the roads here. The cows didn't seem phased, but I found out later that you're not meant to touch the cows as they are sacred to the Hindu people.
Keaton wanted to take a selfie with the cow but was a little wary of getting too close.
I think it looks like Keaton is trying to show the cow something on his phone:).
We then headed off to visit the girl's hostel. No suitcases to lug around with us this time meant I could sit in the back rather than try to squish again.
These beautiful little princesses were there to greet us.
Shy and giggling girls, mostly aged between 13 and 16, all dressed up and ready to welcome us.
They danced and sang for us and we sang "Jesus loves me" and "Shout to the Lord" for them. I also enjoyed listening to the young woman who cared for these girls, how she'd come to be there and the struggles they faced together.
Robyn makes friends wherever she goes regardless of who they are or what they do. She's one of those rare individuals that can make you immediately feel like her closest family.
We returned to the boys hostel as they were returning from school and it began to rain. Again they sang for us and we sang for them, Bill played a little clapping game with them and spent a bit of time chatting with them.
Saloni could barely be seen for the crowd of little heads around her.
Luke and his guitar.
All you need is a smile and maybe a high five to make friends with kids like these.
I had a few people comment today that I was a little quiet. Somehow, Samuel guessed what it was that I was thinking so deeply about. "You'd like to stay here, wouldn't you, with the children", was more of a statement then a question. It's the kids that always get to me and I'm not ashamed of my inner longing to mother these boys and girls. These happy smiling faces and shy greetings hide many sad stories. Sure, a lot of them are from believing homes and some simply from families too poor to care for them. Yet, others are brought by the police, victims of rape and abuse. The hostels run by Christians are the only places where police know that kids won't be abused further. I couldn't help thinking about what some of these kids might have had to endure.
Like Abraham, do I trust that God is good? That He is always just and fair? That He will heal and save?
I have wrestled with these questions many times before and God continues to show me more of Himself every time.
Will I come through the test? Can I give up everything in order to trust God at His Word like Abraham did with his only son?
Again, I pray for these children and their healing.
Lord, You know each child's story, You are the God Who heals and restores. You are the God of salvation and eternal life.
Grow these precious little ones to Yourself.
Thank You for placing them in Your mercy at IEM, where they are loved and cared for by Your people.
Grow them into men and women of faith, leaders in Your church, witnesses for You and members of Your everlasting Kingdom.
Back at OTI, our jeep arrived ahead of the others and without anything better to do we tried out the seesaw:).
After dinner we had a look at some of the photos that have been taken so far on the trip and then headed off to bed.
Our days are so full to the brim that we are all sleeping pretty well :). Even Saloni and I, except for the first night we shared a room and stayed up talking, barely chat at all before falling asleep.
"For I will proclaim the name of the LORD;
ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock, his work is perfect,
for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
just and upright is he."
Deuteronomy 32:3-4
No comments:
Post a Comment