Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Hands in Mine


IEM dining hall and upstairs chapel. 
Today we again had coffee, breakfast and devotions together to start the day. Afterwards, we toured the grounds with Paul who looks after the property.


They have recently purchased a tanker to bring in water for the property. Though just coming out of the wet season it has been quite dry and there is already a water shortage. Soon they will have to start buying water and having their own tanker will make it much cheaper in the long run. 


After our tour, some of us worked in the library for a while before lunch. Most of the books are second hand and a lot of them are quite old. It didn't take long and soon it was lunch time again. After lunch, they gave us an opportunity to rest for a few hours. It felt like ages since we had been given free time! So, with the exception of Bill, we all played UNO together. It was nice to spend some time relaxing with one another for a change. 

Keaton had been feeling sick this morning and had to rest for a while but by lunch time he'd recovered. Thankfully it was nothing serious and he was able to join us for the afternoons activities. 


At 4pm we headed to a nearby church plant and met some of the believers. 


Bill prayed for some of them and we headed off again.



We then went to visit a daycare centre in the middle of a village. This was, of course, a highlight for me:). 


The daycare centre is provided for the kids in the village whose families would otherwise be unable to afford any preschool education. 


Who can resist a sleeping baby?



They sang for us, we sang for them.
(we've been doing a lot of singing wherever we go)


I didn't get many good photos because none of them could stand still for a single second:). 





Keaton taught them a game which we all played together. The kids loved it.


I remembered that I'd brought glow stick bangles with me and realised I'd have just enough for everyone. They were an instant hit and I'm so glad I thought to bring them with me. 





I was in my element, back to making friends with little kids. 



The kids wanted us to see where they lived so we drove the short distance to their homes, a distance they walk by themselves. 
We didn't want to cause too much of a commotion in a community of mostly Hindus, but we took a few minutes to pray in the home of a believing family. 


Children clamouring to hold my hands is an all too familiar feeling that reminds me of other little hands that have become precious to me. More little hearts I'm tied to in far away places. I couldn't help but shed a few tears for my children I care for so much and miss so dearly. I sat in the back of the jeep again and prayed all the way home. 
I love the believers here at OTI, they feel like family. Paul was asked to pray for us when we had devotions tonight. He prayed for each of us specifically by name and it seemed like when he prayed for me he somehow knew exactly how I felt. I guess that's how the Holy Spirit works, making us one body, helping us bear each other's joys and sorrows. 

Lord, may these children grow up always knowing Your love. May they know that people across the world pray for them. Thank You for the work of IEM and OTI that gives shelter and protection to these young lives. Watch over their souls, Lord, as well as their bodies, may they one day be men and women of faith in this land. May we be Your hands and feet in this place, glorify Your name and advance Your Kingdom. May everything we do bring honour to You Oh God. 

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, 
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us. 
As a father shows compassion to his children, 
so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him."
Psalm 103:11-13







No comments:

Post a Comment