Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pierced



I'm reading a lot at the moment.
I know. You're all thinking "doesn't she always read a lot?"
But, really, I can hardly keep up with myself. For the first time in my life I'm reading more than one book at a time in an effort to keep up with my overflowing bookshelf. Every time I start to catch up on all my reading the Reformers Bookshop send out a new catalog or a friend recommends a book they've just finished. :) I'm a hopeless case. 

So, I considered doing some book reviews to share some of these great books, but then I read a quote from Francis Chan. "If you fail to act on what you're learning, this book is doing more harm than good". So I've changed my tactic. Instead of reviewing some of the great books I've learned from, I'm going to share the recent two books that are changing my life. 

1. Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin


A taste for you
"For years I viewed my interaction with the Bible as a debit account: I had a need, so I went to the Bible to withdraw an answer. But we do much better to view our interaction with the Bible as a savings account: I stretch my understanding daily, I deposit what I glean, and I patiently wait for it to accumulate in value, knowing that one day I will need to draw on it. Bible study is an investment with a long-term payoff. Rather than reading a specific text to try to meet an immediate need, give the benefits of your study permission to be stored away for future use. What if the passage you are fighting to understand today suddenly makes sense to you when you most need it, ten years from now? It has been said that we overestimate what we can accomplish in ten. Are you willing to invest ten years in waiting for understanding? Are you willing to wait a decade for an application point to emerge? Be encouraged that you are storing up treasure, even if you don't see or feel it in the short term." (emphasis added)

This book has completely changed the way I "spend time in the Word". I'm studying more and more with my head instead of letting my heart lead the way. It's harder work and takes longer to do but I'm thoroughly enjoying investing in Bible study. 


2. A Woman's Wisdom by Lydia Brownback


A taste for you. 
"This recognition of our sin before a holy God is what makes us crave a Saviour, and when we cast ourselves upon him to fulfill that craving, we will move beyond just merely understanding the doctrines of the Christian faith in our minds to living them from our hearts with deep joy. All this is why the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It's because real wisdom is found only in Christ. Wisdom is the realisation that he is everything." (emphasis added)

I described to a friend that reading this book was like being punched in the gut after every chapter. Like a sword piercing my heart the truths in this book challenged many areas of my life. It addresses many areas where wrong thinking creates foolish behaviour, but at the same time gives lots of practical Godly advice. 

So, of course I would recommend reading these books to anyone, but not without a warning. Only read these books if you're prepared to change. They made me uncomfortable and created a burning desire to change the way I think, feel and live. Now, I know only one thing can create this burning within, and it's not great writing or good authors, but the Word that is alive! It's God's Word within these books that pierces my heart and changes my life. 

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
Hebrews 4:12-13




No comments:

Post a Comment